‘Skyriders’ was a mostly-solo indie project that I developed after Little Acorns.
It was an into-the-screen platform/racing style game, inspired by old classics such as Trailblazer, Sky Roads, and STUN Runner. Pilot a small spacecraft along crazy tracks in space, dodging and jumping obstacles, whilst trying to maintain a high speed by collecting the glowing stars and hitting the boost pads! It (mostly) ran at a nice smooth 60fps on an iPhone 4.
Keep the boost streak going for massive scores and flawless runs – but you’ll need some well-timed switching between red and yellow to grab the matching stars! Can you master the increasingly challenging stages, get the gold medal scores, and climb those leaderboards?
Unfortunately, Skyriders is no longer available on iOS (or Ouya!). It was available on the iOS App Store and Google Play, at least until Apple discontinued support for 32bit apps. I also released a version for the Ouya, as it was Android-based. That was possibly the best version, as it had a proper controller, although that is no longer available either… It’s quite sad how much software is just disappearing as digital platforms change or shut down.
Skyriders was developed using the Marmalade SDK, which no longer exists – so updating for 64bit is non a non-trivial job. Maybe there’ll be a sequel one day, probably built in Unity…
* Simple controls (choose from tilt-to-steer or on-screen buttons)
* 40 levels over 5 varied zones
* Game Center leaderboards and achievements
* Ship upgrades, to help you earn even bigger scores
* Universal App, supports iPhone 3GS/iPad 1 and above.
* Super smooth 60 frames/second gameplay (on newer devices)
* No in-app purchases! Buy once, play forever!